• Andrzej Zulawski (Pronounced: ahn'-jay zhoo-wahv'-ski)
• Alan Jones writes in his book "Profondo Argento" pg. 120
"Shot in ten weeks from May 3, 1982, Tenebrae is a normatively complex, hi-tech contemporary
nightmare reuniting Dario Argento with his Suspiria director of photography Luciano Tovoli who used
Kodak 300 ASA film stock to give a crystal clear definition without resorting to the laboratory
tampering that was all-important to Suspiria's final look. (Argento admits that this sharpness is his
homage to Andrzej Zulawski's Possession, 1980, one of his favorite films)
• When the shooting of 'Na Srebrnym Globie' (1977) was almost completed, the Polish Ministry of
Culture ordered to stop the filming and destroy all related materials. The negative was saved, however,
and during the liberalization of the political regime in Poland in 1986-1987 Zulawski returned to the
country and managed to complete the film from the spared material. This raw product was shown at
the Cannes Film Festival but was misjudged as a failed pre-Spielbergian attempt on super-production.
• In early 80s Zulawski conceived a project with Nastassja Kinski but she refused calling it a
• Zulawski Has Collaborated With Famous Polish Composer Andrzej Korzynski On 9 Of His Films
Inlcuding: Piesn Triumfujacej Milosci (1967), Pavoncello (1967), Trzecia Czesc Nocy (1971), Diabel
(1972), Possession (1981), Na Srebrnym Globie (1987), Mes Nuits Sont Plus Belles Que Vos Jours
(1989), Szamanka (1996) and La Fidélité (2000).
• Zulawski Has Collaborated With Polish Cinematographer Andrzej Jaroszewicz On 7 Of His Films
Including: Diabel (1972), L'Important C'est D'aimer (1975), Possession (1981), Na Srebrnym Globie
(1987), Boris Godounov (1989), La Note Bleue (1991), and Szamanka (1996). He only served as
Camera Operator on Diabel (1972), L'Important C'est D'aimer (1975), and Possession (1981)
• Zulawski Has Collaborated With French Actress Sophie Marceau On 4 Of His Films Including: L’
Amour Braque (1985), Mes Nuits Sont Plus Belles Que Vos Jours (1989), La Note Bleue (1991) and La
• Zulawski and Sophie Marceau have son Vincent born on June 24, 1995.
• Zulawski Has Another Son Named Xawery Zulawski.
• Sign: Sagittarius
• Personal Quotes:
"To please the majority is the requirement of the Planet Cinema. As far as I'm concerned, I don't make
a concession to viewers, these victims of life, who think that a film is made only for their enjoyment,
and who know nothing about their own existence."
"I make films about what is torturing me, and a woman serves here as a medium."
"I came from the French cinematic school of real thinking; and I believe that, with few exceptions,
acting is a female occupation."